Sunday, June 16, 2013

Give the gift of life: donate blood...


Friday was World Blood Donor Day. My first few years at the Children's Hospital, I was donating a unit of blood every four months. However, for my own health, I'm no longer able to donate. I was a bit sad about that this past Friday but even though I couldn't donate, I was still given a t-shirt by the blood bank guys as an 'honorary donor' :) Even though I can't donate, and even though the Blood Donor Day has passed, I'd encourage you all to donate. If you're in Freetown, and would like to be donate, contact me and we can arrange that. Your blood can save a child's life at the Children's Hospital. I'll buy you a coke after you donate to help replace some of your losses!

Did you know that there are 107 million blood donations per year and that 65% of blood transfusions in low-income countries are given to children under five years of age.

"12 June 2013 -- World Blood Donor Day, celebrated on 14 June every year, serves to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products and to thank voluntary unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood. With the slogan "Give the gift of life: donate blood", this year’s campaign, the 10th anniversary of World Blood Donor Day, will focus on the value of donated blood to the patient, not only in saving life, but also in helping people live longer and more productive lives."

http://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2013/en/index.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sandra,

I was just looking for welbodi in google and came across your blog!
It's beautiful; it reflects your dedication, your love for children and God's presence in your work. Thank you for sharing!

Manuela

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~