Sunday, April 01, 2007

3-day weekend due to surprise public holiday...

Today is Sunday and believe it or not, I don't have to go in to work tomorrow. Tomorrow has been declared a public holiday in commemoration of Moulud Nabiyu which is the Muslim festival commemorating the birthday of Prophet Muhammad. Apparently many countries world wide take the day off. Actually I think yesterday was the official birthday, but since it was a Saturday I guess people still want a week day off! I'm not so sure what everyone actually does...but at least for me it means another day to catch up on sleep and rest up before the week begins again. Actually it feels a bit weird to close clinic on a Monday. I hope no patients show up. If they do, I can always get a ride to the center. But in the past on these public holidays no patients have shown up. It's a bit weird really. The strange thing is that this holiday is only announced a few days in advance because it depends on the moon. Very interesting.

Anyway...my 3-day weekend...
Yesterday I went to a pool at one of the local hotels. Very relaxing. Today I went to a new church in Regent village- about a 20 minute drive away. I really enjoyed it. A Sierra Leonean pastor preached- he was very good and gripping. There are some guys from the States helping him out in getting the church started. All in all there was a great atmosphere. I'll definitely go again sometime. This evening we went out to a Chinese restaurant. Tomorrow maybe to the beach. Like I said...time to relax.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~