Saturday, November 27, 2010

Flying...

No, I am not flying anywhere at present. Although a trip back home to some snow sounds great. No, this has simply been a weekend in which I feel I am flying from here to there.


It started on Friday, leaving work at 4 pm (early for me!) and getting to the Spur Road office at 5 pm (traffic-free ride home!) After a few minutes of (slow) internet I walked the ten minutes to get home. I quickly changed and then headed down to Mercy Ships so that I could make it for their 630 pm dinner. Fortunately the taxi driver was going from Wilberforce to Aberdeen, meaning I did not have to change taxis at Congo Cross. Convenient! Traffic was crazy but I got to Aberdeen on time. After a lovely dinner (thanks to Aunty Fatu) it was time for a meeting. Six of us were meeting to discuss a Sunday school program for Sunday afternoon. We have invited 30 children from the Aberdeen community to come for Sunday school. So we had to rehearse a play we are doing and discuss songs, snacks, games, coloring sheets, etc. We were done by 830 pm. I chatted with some people and then headed off to the shower (since we still don't have water at our house). And at 930 pm my driver came to pick me up. I was so tired I was asleep by 11.

This morning I got ready and was out the door by 830 am. I took taxis down to Aberdeen and hopped into the Mercy Ships Landcruiser with 9 others and headed to Bureh beach. We decided to take the peninsula road meaning we drove through Lumley, Juba Hill, Goderich, Lakka, Hamilton, and past beautiful beaches like River 2, Tokeh and John Obey until we finally turned off at Bureh, 1 hour and 30 minutes later. The day was amazing even though there was a large beach 'outing' - busloads of Sierra Leoneans, loud music, lots of beer, and so very little privacy. We managed to find a spot that was a bit further away from the massive speakers. And we spent plenty of time in the water/sun.

I arrived home at 640 pm with just enough time for a quick bucket shower and turn around to head out the door again by 725 pm. I had a lovely dinner at Roy's with Hannah and Tim from the Africa Mercy Advance Team and was home by 1030 pm. It's now time for bed since tomorrow will be a crazy day.

I'll be flying from here to there again. First to church to help with Sunday school. Then to a supermarket. Then to Aberdeen for Sunday school there. Then to meet the family who lost a child at the hospital last week to pay my respects. Then to catch up with Thomas, my former lab technician, along the beach somewhere and then finally home.

Yeah, it's another busy weekend. But it's good. I definitely can't say I get bored here.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Sounds wonderful San, great you are having some busy times with fun, outside of busy times with work. We are on lock down due to the elections ... Love mama

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~