Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hello Sierra Leone...

In less than 12 hours I will be airborne (again) and on my way to Freetown, Sierra Leone via Malaga, Spain. And I can't wait. Well, I am not too excited about the actual trip, but I'll be glad to be back in Salone. Back in my own place and ready to get back to work. I'm going to count on one of my two trusted drivers to be able to pick me up and drive me home, that is, once I take the water taxi from Lungi to the other side.


Have I really only been gone for 12 days? It seems like weeks have gone by. It's been good to get a bit of distance but I really am ready to be home again. I'm looking forward to seeing friends again, going to the hospital, being at the women's group, enjoying the sun (although I might change my mind when I'm all sweaty), etc. I'm not looking as forward to the dust - and the forever dirty feet and the lack of a washing machine and internet. But for the most part, I'll be happy.

I guess my only concern is that I already know I am going to hit the ground running. There are meetings that need to take place with the Ministry and UNFPA, more oxygen concentrators arriving, work to be done on the lab project, medical records/database issues to sort out, liaising with other NGOs in the hospital, preparing for the next SLICH (Sierra Leone Institute of Child Health) Board meeting, and the list goes on. I told you I was concerned. Besides this, there's a big white ship arriving next weekend and along with that comes a list of people coming to Sierra Leone to connect with the ship that I would like to see while they're visiting. My social life is going to be a bit busy. But fun. Anyway, work wise my plan is to continue making 'to do' lists but to prioritize them properly. And focus first on those things that need to be done urgently and basically make sure those get done. If I can at least get the top 4 things crossed off of my list everyday I think I'll be okay. Maybe my goal should be to make sure I have one day (Sat or Sun) that I do absolutely no work, at all. Yeah, we'll see.

Alright, I am going to get some sleep before the day really begins. And, I hope you've enjoyed the regular blogging- I'm not sure if I can keep it up when in Freetown, unless I get internet at home sorted! I'll do my best...

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~