Tuesday, January 03, 2012

New Year's resolutions...

"A New Year's resolution is a commitment a person makes to one or more lasting personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit.This goal must be reached by the next New Year. Keep in mind that this is a goal, not a wish and should be something that you as a person could strive for." (Wikipedia)

I tell myself on December 31st that I don't make New Year's resolutions because I know I'll never stick to them anyway. However, I think secretly, in my mind, I do make some resolutions. They're not huge milestones or significant changes, but things I would like to improve and change slowly over time. Or maybe things I want to focus on a bit more, and be more aware of. Really, they are things that I should be working on for a lifetime.

Here are some of the things I came up with:

  • Focus more on the positive
  • When frustrated, try to figure out how to use the moment to bring about something good
  • Walk with more humility
  • Be a better listener
  • Try to be more understanding
  • Be more considerate
  • Love life and all it brings my way
Those aren't really resolutions in my book. They are things I should be working on all the time, and things that I'll never quite accomplish this year. I'll confess though that I do have one or two true resolutions now that I think of it, but to be honest, I thought of these a few months ago - before New Year - and that is to learn a little bit of some of the local languages like Temne and Fula and to push myself a bit more academically. We'll see!

1 comment:

Shona Johnston said...

Sandra you are one of the most humble and considerate people I know! And don't you forget it! xxxxx

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~