Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another theft...

Is it terrible to say that I am not surprised anymore when I find out we have been thieved by people we know? By people who are supposed to be guarding our compound, people here to ensure our safety and watch out for our stuff. People we are supposed to be able to trust. People we have become friends with; laughed with, talked with, hung out with.

????

Terrible or not, I will say it again. I was not surprised to hear this morning that 2 of our guards were caught stealing diesel in the generator room. I guess after living here for 4 years and being thieved on numerous occassions (whether it be money, a safe, diesel, bags, chairs, etc. it was always by people we know), it just doesn't baffle me anymore.

So, I am not surprised but I am annoyed. Annoyed that once again it was some of the guys that I got along with and befriended. Annoyed that people here seem to think stealing is alright as long as you do not get caught. Annoyed that people risk their jobs, their source of income for their families, etc. by stealing from us. Yes, I know people here have little and any chance at some extra money is very appealing. But still, these guys had it good at our compound, at least better than many other posts. Why take a chance?

Most annoying of all is that once again I am faced with the reality of life here. The question: "Can I trust anyone here?" keeps haunting me. I just don't know if I can trust everyone. Or is it anyone? It saddens me to say that I really am not sure who I can trust here. As soon as I think I can trust someone and they seem loyal, they are the ones who end up stealing. Uggghhhh. This has got to be the hardest part of living in Sierra Leone - not being able to fully trust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can not believe it, and yet I can, but so sad....
Serkte - the sad part is... NO you can not trust.
me

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~