Friday, April 24, 2009

My malnourished kids...

On Friday I ventured out to the Feeding Center; seeing as I had 4 patients there, it was time for another visit. I mostly enjoy my visits to the feeding centre. Yes, it is sad and sometimes shocking to see how small these kids really are, but it is also great to see how the mothers interact with each other and to see the remarkable change in so many of the kids. Every time we show up there we are warmly welcomed by both the nurses and the patients. We were a bit later this Friday, showing up around 1pm which was good because chores were done and it was time for socializing. My patients made up at least ¼ of the patient population that day, so that made it even more fun. We all sat around and talked and watched the children. Some were playing. Some were just sitting. Some were crying. Some were sleeping.

Two of my patients are not doing very well yet. Moses is on his TB drugs but still unwell and very grumpy. Sidikie is 2 years old and only weighs 7 kg. He was also quite fussy and clung to me as I was holding him. Sadly enough his mother died not too long ago. To my surprise I noticed a very prominent spine on his back, which I didn’t remember seeing before. The nurses at the feeding center also had not noticed it so I told them they need let the TB doctor know, because if he has TB of the spine, he will need yet another strong medication (streptomycin) to be added to his daily drug regime. Let’s hope these two kids start improving!

The other two already look much better. Victoria, who is 1 year and weighs 5.6 kg, has only been admitted for 4 days. But seeing as she also had malaria when I referred her, and that has been treated, she has perked up a lot. I think she will do great. Then there is Abibatu, who had all sorts of this going on when I referred her on April 7th. She is now on TB treatment and thriving. Her mother is thrilled that she is doing well. And seeing as she has been there the longest, she is the one giving other mothers advice, encouraging them, etc. It was a lovely way to spend an hour on a Friday afternoon. Spending quality time with my patients and their mothers and wondering what it would be like to run a Feeding Center…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to have a good visit ....
I do love that place even though it is not the best you can give the kids it is better than nothing, please say hello to the nurses I know overthere.
mama

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~