Friday, March 05, 2010

Life isn't fair...


Who said life is fair? No one. Everyone always says life isn't fair. And they are right. It's not.


It is not fair that I will sleep in a comfy bed tonight, with a roof over my head and not have to be afraid of my house collapsing while I sleep or getting soaked in the rain. Many people in Haiti are sleeping in tents made of sheets, praying they will stay dry tonight, too afraid to stay inside buildings because of the traumatic experience they have been through.

It is not fair that I had no trouble obtaining three meals today while people in Haiti are struggling to get one meal; with women standing in the hot sun, waiting for hours to get a bag of rice for their families.

It is not fair that I have running water and can drink water from the tap at any given moment while people in Haiti are lining up for hours in the streets hoping to get one bottle of water given to them for the day.

It is not fair that I had the possibility to get on a plane and leave while so many in Haiti will be stuck in the devastation caused by the earthquake; living in poverty for the rest of their lives.

It is not fair that I can call up the doctor's office for an appointment when I need to, while people are dying in Haiti because medical care is not available to everyone.

It just isn't fair. Life isn't fair. But where does that statement get us. The situation does not change. The fact is, I have a lot and they have a little. It's just the way life is. At the end of the day, I am the one from the developed world and they live in an impoverished nation. I have opportunities that they will never have. It's not fair, but it is life.

However I am reminded that in life's unfairness, God remains just. He stays true to His word. And He longs for justice. And I suppose that today as I write down these thoughts I am reminded about how blessed I am and how thankful I should be for those many blessings. Food. Water. Shelter. Medical care. And so much more. I believe that God has blessed me so that I can bless others. Let's not take what God has given us for granted. And let's use our blessings to bless others. We may not understand the unfairness of life but we can count our blessings today and try our best to make life a little better for those around us.

1 comment:

FiftyCentLove said...

I think I needed to hear this. I have been on 2 mission trips and been reading the Compassion Bloggers trip in Kenya. And of course Haiti Bloggers. I struggle with the unfairness that we have so much, but we should feel blessed and use it to bless others. Thanks for the reminder.

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~