Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sound of music...

In the middle of a consultation about a week ago my ears suddenly tuned in to "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." So I poked my head out of my office and glanced into the waiting area. Sure enough, there was Julie Andrews singing away in Austria to the Von Trapp kids. So, here I was, in Sierra Leone, in a Krio speaking country, in a children's clinic and we were showing "The Sound of Music" to the families while they were waiting for their chilren to be seen by me. Love it. I stood in the waiting area for a few minutes, not watching the TV screen, but watching the faces of the many moms present, smiles appearing on their faces while they were watching an unknown musical on television. My face lit up as I realized how much they were enjoying the film. A film I have watched over and over as a child now seen for the first time by many of these moms and making their wait in the clinic a little more bearable. Fun! However, after hearing the film 4 days in a row I did hope I would not get tired of hearing it. But even on that fourth day when I went out and again saw the glow on the moms faces I thought it was worth it. As long as the health education videos and Life of Jesus videos are shown everyday, I am fine with The Sound of Music being shown everyday as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How special childhood memories can be. I still remember your faces when you watched the Sound of Music over and over again. I also remember the many "life" performances you and your sibblongs showed of on family night. Love mama

surpluz rage said...

i hope 1 day i will have the opportunity to do a show for them for free.

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~