Saturday, September 15, 2012

My parents in Haiti...

My parents currently work for Hope Force in Haiti. They arrived shortly after the earthquake in 2010 and have been helping the people of Sous Savanne rebuild their community ever since. The work they are doing is making an impact in the lives of many families in that area. Hopefully they can expand their work to a village called Babay which was affected by the earthquake as well as more recently by hurricane Isaac. My dad and the Sous Savanne community leader set off to visit Babay and ended up having to walk to the village because the road was impassable.

Here's my dad's quote taken from a Hope Force update: “Rubber boots are great for muddy paths and crossing fast-flowing river beds, but they are bad for hiking the steep hillsides of Babay,” RenĂ© said. “But in less than an hour and a half, the Babay community leader and some of the other committee members were leading Joseph and I around the village’s many make-shift shacks and tents. At the end my feet hurt, but the terrible conditions I saw hurt me more.”

It's great to read about my parents' adventures in Haiti and to get a glimpse of the work they are doing and the passion they have for the people they are interacting with on a daily basis. I hope to hear more in person very soon, since they fly in on Monday for a few weeks break. It will be great to see them again. While in Holland, their compassion for the people in Sous Savanne remains evident as they plan to run a marathon to raise money for a latrine for Liliane and her family. Read her story here: Liliane's story. If you would like to support their work, this is a great cause.

Mom and dad, I'm proud of you!

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~