Sunday, June 10, 2012

5th trip to Namina...

It has become a pleasure to visit Namina and her mom in their village. Mid-April, Gibrill, Osman and I set out to Bailor town again. We had a fun ferry crossing, taking many photos and talking to various people and met up with Namina and her brother in Lungi. We all got in Osman’s car and off we went. Fortunately the road was less dusty than last time! We spent some time on the dodgy bridge, partially to re-lay the wooden boards so that we could actually cross, but also to take some photos.

When we arrived Namina’s mom (Wara) and the rest of the (extended!) family welcomed us with open arms. I also saw my namesake, Sandra, who had grown quite a bit since our last visit. I brought many printed photos from our last trip, which were greatly accepted by all. While half the village spent time sharing around photos, we headed to the beach (about 2 minutes from the huts) and sat and enjoyed the cool breeze. Many children soon joined us of course.

We spent some time with the children, handed out biscuits and took a long walk on the beach. The fishermen were just coming in with their boats laden with fish, so that was entertaining for a bit. To be honest, it was just nice spending time with Namina’s family.

Later we had a big coloring session. With coloring pages I brought from home and a bunch of crayons given to me by my sister (thanks Maris!), we kept many children and even some adults very happy. They loved it. You have to remember that for some, this was the first time they colored! It was great to watch Namina and her brother color and comment on each other’s work. It has been a privilege to be a part of Namina’s life and see her flourish. Due to rainy season I don’t think I’ll be back for a little while, but I’m sure they’ll come to Freetown for a visit.


No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~