Friday, June 15, 2012

Good and bad...

Everyday has its good moments and its bad moments. Today the good by far outweighed the bad. Actually, the whole week has been positive for the most part. I have been encouraged!


This amazing tree on the hospital compound reminded me of the great things that took place today. I was able to schedule a 7 year old child for a CT scan at Connaught. Unfortunately he has lost his vision and has various other problems either due to meningitis or a brain lesion/tumor. Hopefully the CT scan will tell us more. I also managed to arrange transport to Guinea for an 8 year old boy with hydrocephalus who needs surgery. Osman is picking me up at home at 6:30am tomorrow so that we can get to Children's by 7am. He will then leave with the family for Guinea. Praying for a successful and safe trip! I also had a great teaching session with the house officers today. They were engaged with the lecture on circulation (shock and arrest) and theory about cardiopulmonary resuscitation. We then had some fun putting theory into practice, trying to resuscitate manikins. They're a great bunch with lots and lots of potential. I'm happy to help them along and give them the support I can. Another accomplishment (which is teeny tiny) was getting the side lab lock changed and finding a cleaner to clean the room. You'd be surprised (shocked) that such a small task can end up taking some time to sort out!

Unfortunately, for a few days now I have had laptop screen issues. Thankfully, for most of the day it's fine, but on occasion, the screen goes all funny (either clouding up, horizontal lines or colorful vertical lines) and everything freezes up. I wouldn't mind so much if I could be guaranteed that it's only a few minutes here and there but I am a bit worried that the screen is going to give up altogether. It's hard to know whether to spend money on a new laptop or wait. This is how my days here can be - do you keep going with a plan/project, or do you give up and start something new? Not everything is pleasant. I'm faced with challenging situations on a daily basis and sometimes it's really really hard. I was going to write about some of the bad/challenging stuff that took place today but after writing about all the positive stuff, I decided I'd like to stick to the positives. After all, it really has been a good week. I want to remember the good things. Sweet dreams everyone, I have to get to bed so I can get up at 5:45.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~