Thursday, February 12, 2009

In Thailand...

Yeah, I’m in Thailand! The reason for being in Chiang Mai is to attend a medical conference hosted by the American Christian Medical and Dental Association for continuing medical education. The conference is especially for doctors working on the mission field and is geared towards those working in Asia. I went to a similar conference in Kenya in 2006 focused on Africa. Since the Kenya conference was cancelled last year due to political unrest, I decided to come to Thailand this year.

So far my time here has been great. I have met some interesting people working all over Asia, some in Africa and some in the USA (lecturers). I also caught up with some people I met at the Kenya conference (fun!) and some people who have worked on the ship. The resort is amazing! It’s big – no walls, no razor wire! – lots of Thai huts and houses, pavilions, even some shrine type deals which just add to the whole cultural atmosphere. And there’s a pool and they sell amazing chocolate cake (among others) which I have yet to buy! The days are long with breakfast at 7am, worship & sermon at 735 and then full on lectures from 845 till 4pm. Then in the evening we have another meeting from 75-845pm. And in between there is lots of food. There are 3 buffet lines and places inside and outside to eat. The food is great- a large variety- especially a lot of Thai food. It’s funny that for dinner you can often have pasta, rice and potatoes! And the best is the vegetables (Broccoli! Cauliflower! Bell peppers!) and fruit (mango, pineapple, guava, banana, watermelon, papaya – which of course I get in Salone too, but it’s still excellent). I really can’t complain about the food. There really is such a huge selection each time and always fruit. Every breakfast there are eggs (fried or scrambled), bacon or ham, pancakes, french toast, yoghurt, cereal, toast, etc. I love breakfasts like that! Maybe I’ll gain back some weight I lost over the past 6 months!

The lectures are really good as well; some topics being more useful than others. So far I have been to a wide arrangement. Let me give you an idea: Adult and pediatric case presentations, Rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease (useful as just had child with this in clinic), Dermatology, Preterm labor, Management of anemia, Dengue fever, Basics of clinical ultrasound, Fine needle aspiration, Fever of unknown origin, Leprosy, Malaria & HIV, Spirituality & Health, Malaria in Asia (some relevance to Africa), Tropical neurology, Malnutrition. And there are many more lectures to come!

It’s time for bed as I have an early start again tomorrow. But I’ll try to post pictures soon. More lectures Friday all day and Saturday morning. Then it’s off to see an elephant show, go elephant riding, visit a snake park, enjoy a thai dinner and experience thai dancing and last of all venture out to the night market till midnight. Not sure about Sunday yet, but I am sure it will be good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How was the eliphant show and thai food and so much more, you sound busy but a "fun" busy. Love mama

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~